our story

A History of our church.

In 1909, a group of believers who met in a small house located near the “ABC Railroad Line” in the Sugar Hill area of Union City, started out as a weekly prayer group. In 1911, they established a formal church and named it Union Grove Baptist Church. The Reverend Walter Banks served as the first pastor. The young church relocated to Church Street, a location in the community of “Graves Alley” still in the Union City area.

The Board of Deacons coordinated this relocation; members consisted of Joe Watkins, E. Foster, Joe Howard, Sr., Will Burton, Robert Daniel, Dan Strozier, Ernest Roberts, Buck Mayes, “Punk” Cook, William Daniel, Bob Talley, Al Wilkerson, North Brown and Jim Stanley. This was a major accomplishment for the church; the new structure was a large one room, whitewashed log building. Additional transitions took place during the following years; however, Union Grove is still located on the same plot of land over one hundred years later.

Meet Our Pastor

Pastor John D. Menefee and First Lady Trellis Menefee

Rev. John D. Menefee, Sr., a native of Atlanta, Georgia, is a passionate preacher with a deep love for God’s word. His spiritual journey began in 1980, leading him to answer the call to ministry in 1982. He served as Youth Pastor for 17 years before becoming the pastor of Union Grove Baptist Church in 2000. Pastor Menefee is committed to rightly dividing the Word of Truth. He has an Associate Degree in Biblical Studies and continued his education at Carver Bible College and Trinity College and Seminary.

He is supported in ministry by his wife, Trellis Menefee, who has been a devoted member of Union Grove Baptist Church her entire life. Trellis has served in various church ministries such as Sunday School Superintendent and leading our women’s ministry. Together, they have celebrated over 45 years of marriage and are blessed with a family committed to serving the Lord together.

Previous Pastors

The chronology is as follows:

1911-1912 Rev. Walter Banks served as the first Pastor

1912-1913 Rev. William Tucker served for one year 1914

1915 Rev. Walter Banks recalled, served until 1915. No records indicate the change in pastor

1915-1918 Rev. Will Hill served as pastor

1918-1926 Rev. Covington served as pastor

1926-1959 Rev. T.A. Davis served as pastor until his death.

1959-1959 Rev. Edward Brown served as action pastor until Rev. T. W. Hobbs was called to serve

1959-1974 Rev. T.W. Hobbs served as pastor

1974-1985 Rev. R. Bryant served as pastor until 1985

1985-1990 Rev. W.L. Brown served as pastor

1990-2000 Rev. Michael Pace served as pastor

2000- currently Rev. John D. Menefee Sr. is serving as pastor

Rev. Will Hill

Rev. T.A. Davis

Rev. Edward Brown

Rev. T.W. Hobbs

Rev. R. Bryant

Rev. W.L. Brown

Rev. Michael Pace

Rev. John D. Menefee